Sunday 14 February 2016

Song A Week 2016 - My Heart and My Head (Reboot) - February 14, 2016

The song a week blog I did in 2012 provided a catalyst at the time to write some new songs.  I was playing a lot of music with Rachelle Reath, but I didn't have a regular band so to speak and wasn't gigging much.  Maybe that's the reason a bunch of those songs just fell off the radar.  Or maybe they just sucked. Time will tell.  Whatever, this is one of those songs.  

Written in 2012, Rachelle and I recorded it for the blog in 2012 and we performed it maybe two or three times.  I've changed the feel, put it in a different key, and tweaked one of those lyrics.  The particular line I changed had been a thorn in the side.....one of those lines that comes quickly, is an easy rhyme, and is sort of like a punch line.....but ultimately is weak.  Now it's better.

So here it is....Happy Valentine's Day.



My Heart and My Head 
words and music by David P. Smith

My heart pumps blood
through my scrambled veins
My heart is like a machine
machines don't feel pain
My heart
my heart 
my heart
and my head

My head is a vessel of bone
it contains my brain
My brain is like a machine
machines don't feel pain
Machines don't dream
they don't hope or aspire
They just do their jobs
that's how they're wired
My head
my head
my head
and my heart

My heart is not a metaphor
for courage, strength, or love
so please do not speak of these things
you know not what you speak of

My heart is a muscle
a muscle that is strong
It is the pulse it is the engine
to my life and to my song
My heart
my heart 
my heart
oh my heart
My heart
my heart 
my heart
oh my heart









No comments:

Post a Comment